Please note: There's a good chance that this post contains affiliate links from which we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Welcome to Travel Photo Roulette #124, a rotating photo contest for travel bloggers. The theme for last week’s contest was stormy weather, and I received some fabulous contributions from all around the world. I could only choose one winner, though, and here it is:
Elaine from Carpe-Travel – Cancun, Mexico
Congratulations, Elaine! Thanks for submitting your photo. I love how the dark, stormy sky contrasts with the colorful swimsuits of the girls, and that they’re holding hands while they watch the storm roll in. It’s really sweet.
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #124: STORMY WEATHER ENTRIES
We’ve all experienced less-than-perfect weather on our travels, and instead of holing up in our hotel rooms, we don our rain gear and head out to capture the moment on camera.
Linda from Linda’s Lens – Grand Canyon, Arizona
A photo posted by Linda Williams (@lindaslens13) on
Anne from Let Me Be Free – Trigg Beach, Western Australia
Maria from Maria Abroad – Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona
A photo posted by MariaAbroad Travel Photography (@maria.abroad) on
Carly from Girl Out of Bounds – Alberta, Canada
HOW TO ENTER TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE #124
To enter, simply leave a comment below with a (publicly accessible) link to your image (whether Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) along with a brief description or caption for the photo, including where the photo was taken. You must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Be sure to send the blog link as well as the picture link.
The TPR #124 contest runs from today, Monday, May 16th – until midnight EST on Sunday, May 22nd.
Check back here throughout the submission period to see all the entries as they come in, and feel free to comment on them. When the submission period ends, I’ll choose a winner and announce it at the top of the post. The lucky winner will then have the honor of choosing the the next theme and hosting TPR #125.
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST OVERVIEW
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the contest.
At the end of the submission period, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions, displays it as that round’s winning entry, and then passes the TPR baton on to the winner for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the host blogger into picking a certain photo via comments, but the host ultimately freely chooses their favorite. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following month’s game and choosing a theme for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media so more people can join the contest. And do be sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
TRAVEL PHOTO ROULETTE CONTEST GUIDELINES
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering is not (e.g., using Photoshop to remove elements.)
- An abstract submission is welcome as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen theme. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they can’t understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it’s okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic (e.g. “signs”), or abstract (e.g. “religion”).
- Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the duration of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
I can’t wait to see everyone’s photos! Finding a community of photographers has been one of my favorite parts the blogging world. I’d love to connect on Instagram too, where I share mostly nature, landscape, and wildlife photos from our travels and our backyard.
Please share this post using the hashtag #PhotoRoulette.
Thanks for joining in, friends. I can’t wait to follow Travel Photo Roulette as it bounces around from blog to blog.